Roche & Cie

French Tax return for 2017

An income tax return is a form (paper or online) on which you provide details of your taxable income and, where applicable, capital gains, and on which you equally claim tax reliefs.

The French tax authorities through public finance centers issue you a tax return every tax year between mid-April and early May. The tax year runs from January to December of the calendar year.

If you receive a tax return, the law stipulates that you must complete it.
The tax administration uses information on your tax return to calculate your tax bill or determine if you are entitled to a tax refund.

Who must complete an income tax return

All French taxable persons, with the exception of children of age who are attached to the tax residence of their parents.

All economic agents (natural or legal persons participating in the economic activity) have to pay taxes in France. Economic agents paying taxes are called taxpayers, while taxpayers are those who actually bear the burden of tax.

Those who avoid income tax because their income is too low also have an interest in submitting to the fiscal year to receive a notice of non-taxation, which is asked if they are taking steps to obtain benefits Tax or simply housing assistance.

Since 2016, the non-tax notice has been replaced by the Income Tax Declaration Notice (Asdir).

In 2018, the tax administration will introduce the levy at source, which aims to adapt the collection of the tax to the events of life without modifying the rules of calculation.

The principle of withholding tax system (or Pay as You Earn) is to deduct the amount of tax directly from the taxable income. Deductions from salaries, pensions and other similar income (unemployment, pension, etc.) will therefore be deducted by a third-party payer at the time of payment. This role of collector will be ensured by the employer (company or association) for the employees, by the pension funds, Pôle Emploi and the Primary health insurance fund for the beneficiaries of replacement income (retirement, unemployment benefit, , Etc.).

However, the tax authorities will issue annual income tax returns if you:

  • Are self-employed
  • Are business leaders
  • Have rental income or other property income
  • Have other income that is not taxed before you get it and the tax can not be collected by the levy-at-source system.
    If you are retired: you must complete and send your tax returns.

If you are retired: you must complete and send your tax returns.


It should be noted that if persons not domiciled in France have income from French sources or at least one residence in France, they must also file an income tax return. (Learn more about taxation of non-residents here)

If you have not received an income tax return

You are responsible for informing the tax administration that you have received of the income on which the tax is payable. You must do so as soon as possible after the filing of the tax returns for the year in question.
If you have not received an income tax return, but feel you need to fill out a tax return, contact the local public finance office and ask for a return to receive one. Do not wait for the tax administration to contact you. If you are sending the late tax return, you will be charged 10% penalties and late payments.

You can consult all the tax news on the site at the address:

Paper or Internet?

You can fill out your tax return on paper or online at
In 2016, tax filing becomes mandatory for some taxpayers. Users who opt for Internet filing have an additional time limit with respect to the filing deadline.

Deadline for return of income tax return

There are different dates for sending paper and tax returns online. These dates are called the filing dates. This year, taxpayers will have until May 17 to send their paper return to the tax authorities.

Those who need or want to register online have an additional time period depending on their department of residence. Taxable persons in zone 1 (departments 01 to 19 and residents abroad) must report before midnight on 23 May 2017. Taxpayers in Zone 2 (Departments 20 to 49) will have until midnight on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 and taxable persons in Zone 3 (Departments 50 to 974/976) will be able to report their income until midnight on Tuesday, June 6, 2017 .

Note that this year, if you have an Internet connection and your 2015 reference tax income exceeds 28,000 euros, you will not be able to complete a paper return and will be forced to fill in the online form.

There are penalties for sending a late tax return.

Penalties and increases related to overtime without reporting. After the deadline for filing the return, you are subject to a 10% mark-up applied to the tax you will have to pay. This increase shall be increased to 40% if the declaration has not been filed within 30 days of the first formal notice by the tax authorities and 80% if the situation has not been regularized within 30 days of the second warning.

If you are having difficulty completing your income tax return, contact the firm Roche & Cie, an expert team will do that.

The paper return

As long as you send your paper return before the deadline, the tax authority will guarantee you to calculate your tax bill and show you the result before the payment date of the tax year. The tax authority calculates the tax bill for each income tax return it processes. However, if you file a late return, you are no longer assured of receiving the return on time.

Online Statement

You can declare online from any computer or tablet by logging on to the official tax website and then visiting your private area.

You can also declare from your account opened on Simply create an “account link” that allows you to switch to your personal tax space. Then, you can access your return from your My-Public account without re-entering your credentials. If you do not have any changes or additions to your return, you can declare via the Internet in three clicks.

In this case, you can also send your declaration by smartphone, by downloading free the application “taxes.gouv”. It also allows you to pay your taxes and change your due dates.

Your tax bill will be calculated automatically and you will receive an acknowledgment of receipt of your income tax return.

Record keeping

By law, you must keep the records you need to complete a complete and correct tax return. If your return is incomplete and you are then recognized as a taxpayer, you may have to pay penalties and penalties.

Consult retention periods for individuals
What income to report?

Among the income to be mentioned in his tax return, there are of course those that make up the taxable wage, that is to say:

  • The fixed remuneration paid by the employer and the increase in overtime
  • The so-called “salary accessory” items, such as the 13th month and the seniority bonus.
  • Benefits received in the event of unemployment or early retirement must also be reported to the tax authorities.
  • The other categories of income which are also subject to income tax are: pensions and life annuities, income from securities and capital, capital gains and gains, income from land, income from professions As well as the remuneration of certain directors of companies (EARL and EIRL among others).

Please note that not all income is reported. Those who are exempt must not be included in the income tax return.

We are dedicated in helping you. Contact us for the filing of all your French Taxes.

For more information, contact us.
Cabinet Roche & Cie, chartered accountant in France.